What we do, what drives us & what we're passionate about
Hello, My name is Katie Walford. I am a fully qualified dance teacher and proud mother of two young girls.
I attended Redroofs Theatre School in Maidenhead, where I was awarded the student of the year award at my Graduation in1998. During my time at Redroofs, I studied with inspirational teachers, made lifelong friends and became a confident young person. I realised the importance of the performing arts and how it can help build self esteem and allow you to be 'yourself' in a creative and caring environment.
I then knew that I wanted to recreate this and so embarked on a teacher training journey, one I have and will never cease under the guidance of my professional Mentor, Linda Sweetzer ISTD UK & International Examiner
This school has been my dream and my life for many years. I opened the school in 2003 in Marlow and then moved to Oxfordshire in 2008 to start a family with my Husband . In light of this move, Kaleidoscope classes are now operating over the three Counties, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire and Oxfordshire. Over time, the spectrum of classes has broaden and we now offer dance, drama, singing and musical theatre sessions in various establishments.
I am passionate about teaching and as such, also coach at Linda Sweetzer Teacher Training College helping others realise their dream of becoming qualified dance teachers. I strongly believe in the importance of correct dance training and very much enjoy teaching the ISTD DDI and DDE teaching modules.
My students range from toddlers to adults and I delight in teaching them all. Your children can gain qualifications through my training as well as getting to take part in exciting shows. I have a dedicated teaching faculty that all wish to bring the best experience to our students both young and adult. We are a strong team of like minded people who want to achieve the same goal,
Encourage, inspire and nurture future talent!
Below is a list of my professional qualifications for you to look at, as this is also something I feel very proud of as well as understanding the importance of having someone fully qualified to guide you and your children through their journey.
• Trained at Redroofs Theatre School as a full time day school pupil 1992 – 1996.
• Continued study at Redroofs Theatre School 1996 – 1998, gained Honours diploma and awarded the ‘student of the year award’ 1998.
• ISTD Associate teaching qualification in Modern Theatre and Tap dance with Distinction.
• Associate Diploma in Modern theatre and Tap dance with distinction.
• Licenciate status in Modern Theatre and Tap dance.
• Approved tutor status in 2004.
• 100 % examination pass rate.
• Qualified to coach ISTD teaching qualifications DDI and DDE teaching modules.
• Currently teaches at the Linda Sweetzer Teacher Training College, entering students for their professional vocational and teaching exams.
• Head of Dance at the Voice School, London, 2001 – 2003
• Taught on The Royal Academy of Dance Degree course, Margaret Howard Teacher training College and Redroofs Theatre School, entering students for their professional vocational exams and teaching exams.
• Choreographed many professional shows, pantomimes and workshops.
• Katie worked as a professional model for many years working for clients such as Vogue, Marks & Spencers, GMTV, This Morning and Alliance and Leicester.
The Kaleidoscope Dance Studios was founded by Katie Walford in the Buckinghamshire town of Marlow in 2003. Since then it has expanded and now has branches in Buckinghamshire, Berkshire and Oxfordshire. Alongside Katie Walford, there is a strong team of qualified professional teachers who provide excellent foundational training for children and young adults. All teachers hold current CRB certificates. We also have a faculty of guest lecturers including BAFTA nominated actors and West End performers. Our guest lecturers visit the college regularly and conduct workshops in their specialised field.
The Kaleidoscope team offer totally unique pre-school classes, devised to inspire young children. We have combined the love of ‘dressing up’ and dance to produce a brand new concept which captures imaginations and encourages dance development. Once our pupils reach 5 years, they then transfer into our Star Squad department. Pupils may choose to attend disciplined examination based classes or structured recreational classes. Whether children are dancing for fun or wish to pursue a professional career, we can offer a suitable class which fulfils all requirements.
All pupils are given the opportunity to enter for the Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing examinations, but examinations are not compulsory. Pupils also take part in regular school shows, medal assessments, professional workshops and competitions. If you would be interested for our dedicated team to work alongside you to promote the love of dance, drama and musical theatre at your establishment then please contact our office for more details. We will be very happy to help, advise and answer any queries you may have. This brochure is designed to showcase the range of classes we run for children and teenagers. Information on our adult classes is available on request.